Learn About Cooke Stationery Company
In the 1880’s, the J.K. Gill Company opened its doors in Salem, Oregon. It was in the 300 block of State Street, downtown. This location is now occupied by a restaurant. After a short while, Gill moved to Portland, Oregon to bigger and finer things.
The local Salem store was moved across the alley to the west, into a new location which lasted under the ownership of Hal and Cooke Patton until it was purchased by J.L. Cooke in 1935. J.L. Cooke moved the business to its present location at 370 State Street.J.L. Cooke died in 1951 and the store was purchased by James A. Henery in 1957. In 1971, the space was doubled by expanding into 362 State St. The company still operates at this location and the two buildings are listed in the National Register. James A. Henery owned and operated the business until his death in 1987. The business is currently managed by 3rd Generation owners/operators. We have been part of the Salem Community since 1935.
We are a member of Independent Stationers
Independent Stationers is a nationwide buying group made up of hundreds of independent office supply dealers like ours. This helps us purchase merchandise in volume and pass the savings on to our customers.